Wednesday, June 10, 2009

a road map... i need more than just directions.


i enjoy gadgets, especially ones that make life a little easier. cell phones, laptops, GPS, etc... all make me smile. my parents gave me a GPS for Christmas last year, and i recently purchased a new cell phone which has 2 navigation options on it... i have a good sense of direction, i can read a map, but i'd rather type in my destination and let the "man with a british accent" lead me. there's something magical about hearing, "you've reached your destination."

how often do we ask ourselves, "have i reached my destination?" "am i where i am supposed to be?" "have i gotten off course?" why else would books like The Purpose Driven Life and My Best Life Now be bestsellers (i'm not knocking the books, just stating an obvious fact)?

we all long for our lives to be different, to be more than we know, and yet we lack the discipline and honestly the desire to strive for holiness.

as i lounge on the love seat in my living room, my heart is restless and my mind mulls over the same questions that have plagued me for the past few months. i long to be who God wants me to be, to be where He wants me to be... and yet, i constantly get in the way of both.

i came across Proverbs 16:9 tonight: "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."

and now i'm prayerfully asking... "does my heart align with where God is leading me?"

obviously, i like to be led in the right way (my 3 GPS units prove that), and yet, i let the sinful desires of my heart distract me from where God is leading me and what He is doing around me. if God is determines my steps, my desire for a road map can be thrown to the side... and that is where the importance of focusing on a relationship with my God comes in.