Tuesday, May 1, 2007

oxford adventures revisited - part 1: which way is really right?


i've decided to post my online journal entries from my time this past summer (july) studying at oxford. The original post date for this entry: July 13, 2006

i have arrived to oxford and all is well... except for my sleeping pattern, but they shall adjust in due time. god is so great. i'm being challenged in new ways, of which i will write more later. i am at an internet cafe around the corner for the part of oxford i am at (it is called regents park, and is one of the 35 oxford universities). i have my own room, and i am the only single girl on the trip, which has actually been a blessing as well. i have been able to talk with some very godly men who are becoming great friends. they are looking out for me (i am on a hall with all guys, so they volunteered to give me the bathroom on the floor and go to the one downstairs, so god is revealing his servant heart through these men).
so far the hardest thing to get used to is the driving on the other side of the road. which is why my subject title is what it is... which way is really right? i am pondering which way i believe is best, and i'll let you know what i determine. =)

i was walking through the streets of oxford yesterday and came across a monument for some men who were burned for their faith (anabaptists, a religious group who were persecuted for their believe in believers baptism, and many were burned at the stake), and it has amazed me that this country has shaped the baptist heritage so much and yet after talking with the bursar of the school i'm at (we had lunch together and it was quite enlightening) i've learned that only around 5% the brits actually go to church. broke my heart. god used this nation so greatly in developing doctrine and biblical "stuff" and now it has turned its back on him. he said that the greatest unreached group are the 14-40 yr. olds... which i would say is where my heart is... who knows, maybe god might lead me back here some day, and i must admit... i don't think i'd mind that one bit!

traveling over here by myself was an adventure, once of which i don't know if i'd want to do again, but it really worked on my trust in god, so it provided numerous faith lessons. amen for that.

No comments: