Sunday, February 8, 2009

a backwards glance... provides a glimpse into today.

i was looking at some past journal entries of mine today... here's one from last september (in italics).

“There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.” - Luke 12:2

The affairs of the heart are the most deadly and dangerous, they strangle the life right out of you. The desires, lusts, broken truths and sinful messes that we try and keep locked inside… always find their way out… nothing stays secret.

The affairs of my heart are the hardest to face, pride and judgmental ways creep in when I’m not looking. I am so quick to point out the flaws I see in others and yet so often I try to portray an imperfect perfection – I am more than willing to let people know I struggle, but when it comes to sharing those struggles my pride steps in.

Keeping the dirt inside only makes things dirtier. You can’t dust dirt. You must remove it to find any sign of cleanliness. It is these affairs of my heart that keep me from a constant pursuit of Christ.

I must ask myself, what does my heart say when confronted by my Savior?

Just as
Matt (my pastor) said last Sunday, when we share our mess with others it loosens its grip on us. When we are honest and let others in on the struggles that take hold of our lives, we no longer have to fight alone.

-------------------------

as i read my thoughts from that september day, i continue to struggle... but thank God i'm still striving to get through. thankfully, i don't have to do this alone. i have been blessed with some amazing people who gladly step in and walk through life with me. some are new additions, others have had their feet muddied by my mess for years. they ask me the tough questions. call me on my crap. remind me to pray, grow and learn in the midst of everything. they let me be me and love me in the midst of it. accountability isn't just a word with them, it's a needed necessity and they graciously continue to step into that role when needed. i pray that they know how blessed i am to have them in my life.