Thursday, September 24, 2009

fake friends


my students tell me that they can't wait to graduate so that we can be "real" friends. they think that because they don't know everything about me... we're "fake" friends.

i take this as a compliment.

that means that i'm doing something right. that boundaries are in place. they recognize that i'm not just another friend, because another friend is the last thing they need.

they need someone who invests in them. disciples them. points them to the cross. challenges them with accountability. spurs them on in service. helps them grow.

the funny thing is... they know me. they know my heart. they know what God's doing in my life. they know they can always call me, just preferably before 10 pm. they know i like dr. pepper, enjoy cooking and like the food network. they know i'm a musician, a sister, a friend.

you see, they know me... the real me... but i will not share my burdens with them, because they don't deserve the burden. it's not theirs. they think they want to know every detail and struggle of my life, but they don't. those things are reserved for my God, my family and friends.

i continue to learn the necessity of Christian community. it's necessary if you want to grow, change and become more like Christ. God has blessed me with amazing community. A family who loves me and friends who ask the hard questions... remember my answers... and then ask those questions again.

this responsibility is not one that should be placed on the shoulders of the students i work with. even though the number of years aren't that different between us... college ministry means that i can't cross that line... i can't even have one foot on both sides of it.

boundaries. they are necessary. they are good. i'm learning just how good they really are.